Jul 5, 2011

A newborn, and a weekly recap

I've been absent from the blog world for a little bit, and I've missed reading and commenting on your blogs, but I just haven't had the time.

Before, I mentioned in passing that our neighbor\friend\fellow missionary Bonnie was due to have a baby at any moment.  Carey and Bonnie had to decide what they were going to do for the delivery at the beginning of the pregnancy, since we can't just run 10 minutes to the nearest St. Jude.  Well, they weren't going to be able to go back to the States to have the baby, and the hospitals here are....horrible, horrible.  Filthy, unsanitary, and who knows (well, sadly we do!) what else.  The nearest decent hospital is probably in Nairobi, Kenya.  That being said, Bonnie picked my Mom to be the midwife, and me to assist at a home birth.  I know you're probably thinking how crazy that is, but it was the best option available, and Bonnie has always had extremely good, easy births with no complications whatsoever.

For months and months we've been preparing, talking, gathering supplies, and researching, along with having "checkups".  


Friday night at 8:45 p.m., Carey called and said Bonnie was in labor.  Mom and I gathered our things together, and got there at about 9.


 Here she is in between contractions


After a quick, problem-free delivery, Kylie Elizabeth was born at 12:14 a.m., on July 2nd.  She gave a healthy cry immediately, and was cute as a button!  The next day when the used-to-be-baby, Ryan, came in and looked at her he said, "I like that one, Daddy!!"

Here's Carey holding his new daughter for the first time.


She wasn't too happy about being cleaned up!




Now that the exciting news is over with, let's see what last week looked like:

Last week:
Monday: 7.5 mile bike ride
Tuesday: 2 mile run
Wednesday: Strength
Thursday: 4 mile run
Friday: 6 mile run
Sunday: 8 mile bike ride


I haven't included a post run picture in a while - whew, way overdue! :)


I did alot of arm\core work this week (I don't remember all the days) using some 10 minute Tracy Anderson videos.  She's a bit annoying, but it's a really great workout!

We were going to have a 4th of July party, but everyone was so tired from the weekend and excitement of the baby that we decided to postpone it. :)  We did make homemade chocolate ice cream, though!
(source)

Do you know anyone who's ever had a homebirth?
Did you do anything for the 4th?


 

13 comments:

  1. homemade ice cream = my absolute fave!!! so yummy! That is so incredible that you got to be a part of a homebirth. wow!

    Nothing too exciting for the 4th...just lots of yummy food and rest...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! A homebirth new baby! How exciting is that!? I didn't know you lived in Africa!

    Homemade chocolate ice cream sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are incredible! That is so awesome that you and your mom were able to help so much in a home birth!! Nice work!

    Also, nice work on the weekly workouts! It is tough to stay on track with so much going on around you - kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you got to be part of something so incredible, wow! My little brother was born at home, but I was only 5 so I wasn't a part of it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the homebirth story. It is simply amazing.

    Thank you for sharing it. Also great workouts and homeaid chocolate icecream. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the idea of homebirths!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, 1) you are AMAZING for helping out with that birth!!!!
    2) home births petrify me, probably because my baby had so many complications he (and I) would have died during birth. scary!
    3) homemade chocolate ice cream=HEAVEN.

    which you deserve, seeing as how you are a saint!! good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My neighbor had a homebirth. She said it was pretty amazing. I myself would be too freaked out to have a baby at home. But I did have a midwife at the hospital and she was great!
    Love your homemade ice cream! That is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. home births are amazing! I can't even imagine the level of strength. Beautiful baby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Homemade ice cream, yum!!

    What an amazing experience to be there for the baby's birth, that's so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got the camera strap in the mail! Thanks so much! It made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. holy cow! You delivered a baby! That is seriously amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my gosh!!! What a beautiful baby...amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Please keep things clean!